- Chef in Residence
Chef in Residence features a line-up of prestigious guest chefs each month, showcasing their unique culinary approach combined with Hawaii’s diverse ingredients. This weekend-long experience includes intimate cooking classes and a special menu from the featured chef at ULU Ocean Grill + Sushi Lounge.
- Winemaker in Residence
Winemaker in Residence features award-winning winemakers from across the country for a weekend of intimate wine tasting classes and a dinner at `Ulu Ocean Grill, with wine pairings that complement an innovative menu of Hawaii Island's freshest ingredients.
- Intimate Cooking classes
Join a 10-person cooking class featuring a signature dish from the repertoire of our Chef in Residence.
- Wine Tasting Classes
Small-group wine tasting classes showcase award-winning wines with the guidance of the visiting winemaker.
- `Ulu Ocean Grill + Sushi Lounge Restaurant Takeovers
Whether it’s a special Resort chef menu paired with wines by a visiting winemaker, or a new menu created by a visiting guest chef, you can request these exclusive dining experiences at `Ulu Ocean Grill + Sushi Lounge on Saturdays within each featured weekend.
Featured Chefs and Winemakers
- WINEMAKER GREG BREWER
- Greg Brewer created his eponymous label, Brewer-Clifton, with original partner Steve Clifton in 1996 and later designed Melville where he worked as winemaker from inception in 1997 through the end of 2015. In 2020, Greg was named “Winemaker of the Year” by Wine Enthusiast Magazine's Wine Star Awards. January 7–8, 2022
- Chef Chad Colby
- Chef Chad Colby’s restaurant Antico in Los Angeles was featured in “Best LA Restaurants” 2020 by Los Angeles Magazine, “Best Restaurants in Los Angeles” 2020 by Thrillist, “38 Standout Dining Destinations in Los Angeles” 2021 by Eater, and “Best New Los Angeles Restaurants” 2019 by TimeOut. April 22–23, 2022
- Chef Charles Phan
- Chef Charles Phan is a two-time James Beard Award winner, Iron Chef participant, and he has been featured on How to Cook Everything, and is the author of IACP award-winning cookbooks “Vietnamese Home Cooking” and “The Slanted Door.” May 13–14, 2022
- CHEF LEE ANNE WONG
- Chef Lee Anne Wong is the chef/partner at Koko Head Cafe in Honolulu and Pioneer Inn, Lahaina. Chef Wong is a Top Chef finalist, Top Chef masters participant, Iron Chef winner and Chopped judge. June 17–18, 2022
- Chef Suzanne Goin
- Chef Goin is a four-time James Beard Award winner including Outstanding Chef of Year 2016. She is the first woman in the United States to win the GAYOT.com Restaurateur of the Year award in 2019. Chef Goin has been featured on Chef Story, How to Cook Everything and is the author of award winning cookbook “Sunday Suppers at Lucques.” August 19–20, 2022
- Chef RJ Cooper
- Chef RJ Cooper is the chef and owner of Saint Stephen in Nashville, Tennessee, a modern American restaurant featuring seasonal ingredients cooked on a wood fire. Chef Cooper is a multiple James Beard Award nominee and winner of Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic. September 30 – October 2, 2022
- Winemaker Matt Duncan
- Third-generation vintner Matt Duncan joins us from renowned Silver Oak winery to celebrate 50 years of winemaking. The winery was founded in 1972 by Ray Twomey Duncan, a Colorado entrepreneur who began investing in California vineyards in the late 1960s, and Justin Meyer, a Christian Brothers-trained winemaker, out of a Napa Valley dairy barn and produced only 1,000 cases of their inaugural vintage. Today, Silver Oak farms more than 400 acres (160 hectares) of vines in Napa Valley and Alexander Valley with a leading-edge approach toward farming and viticulture, and with the softest possible impact on natural resources and the environment. October 7, 2022
- Chef Tyler Florence – Miller & Lux
- We are thrilled to partner with famed celebrity chef Tyler Florence for a special takeover and residency this festive season. Chef Florence will bring his acclaimed American steakhouse Miller & Lux to the Island of Hawaii for a refined yet comfortable dining experience with the best cuts of beef, seafood and locally-sourced produce showcasing the island’s natural bounty. Miller & Lux will take over the Resort’s Hualalai Grille overlooking the 18th green of the Hualalai Golf Course. Known for its intimate club-like ambiance, Chef Florence’s menu adds an inventive new dining experience to celebrate the holidays. In addition to the takeover, Resort guests are invited to participate in intimate, demonstration-style cooking classes with Chef Florence. Available for two weeks during festive season, guests can learn from Chef Florence in a classroom setting while preparing a delicious, island-inspired lunch. DECEMBER 18, 2022 – JANUARY 4, 2023