Discover the extraordinary culture and essence of Hawaii Island through our incomparable Only at Hualalai experiences, curated exclusively for guests of the Resort. These one-of-a-kind opportunities connect guests to the elite craftspeople, remote locations and unforgettable adventures available only on our special island.
BONGA PERKINS WOODEN SURFBOARD EXPERIENCE
- Join Bonga Perkins, surfboard designer and two-time Association of Surfing Professionals World Longboard champion, for an immersive two-day adventure and a reintroduction to the concept of surfing and its relationship to Hawaii. After shaping your own wooden surfboard, learn how to surf with your new creation and compare it to a modern-day surfboard under the guidance of Perkins. Following your marine adventure, return to our Resort to enjoy a special Pau Hana cocktail class and tasting with Kuleana Rum at Beach Tree Restaurant.
Kimi Werner Ocean Experience
- The waters of the Kona-Kohala coastline are known as some of the clearest, with some of the most abundant sea life. Join Kimi Werner, champion freediver, spear-fisher and ocean conservationist, to explore the depths of our underwater world in a new way through the unique skill of freediving. Freediving is a highly skillful, thrilling and enlightening experience, which involves exploring the depths of the ocean in just one breath. Guests will spend two half-days with Werner, connecting with and learning from this illustrious waterwoman. Kimi begins the experience with a guided underwater session in King’s Pond where she will focus on the basics of freediving and safety. The following day, guests take to the sea aboard Maka`ala, the Resort’s Ribcraft, along with Kimi and the skilled Alaka`i Nalu team to freedive their way through the ocean world. The experience culminates with a four-course private dinner crafted by Executive Chef Richard Polhemus, featuring ingredients sourced only from Hawaii Island. Kimi Werner’s husband and decorated photographer, Justin Turkowski, will document the underwater adventure and provide guests photos of their exclusive Hawaiian freediving experience. Guests will also receive shoes designed for daily water life from Hawaii-inspired footwear brand OluKai. With each booking, a donation will be made to a local non-profit dedicated to protecting and enhancing the cultural and natural landscape of the Kona-Kohala coastline. BOOKABLE BY RESORT GUESTS THROUGH 2023, BASED ON AVAILABILITY
Neil Kamimura Blacksmith Experience
- Journey to a secluded coffee farm on the hills of Hualalai where the famed, Hawaii Island-born blacksmith Neil Kamimura forges his state-of-the-art specialty knives. After an initial consultation, assist Neil in creating a unique, personalized knife: forging, pounding and adding a custom handle to complete the one-of-a-kind chef's knife to use in your kitchen, or to treasure as a piece of art. A chef by trade, Flora Kamimura, Neil’s wife, will create a custom lunch to enjoy between the efforts of constructing your creation. After your time spent with the knife master, return to the Resort and receive a knife-skills cooking class with a tenured Resort chef, using your new creation for the first time.
- Explore the diverse natural offerings of Hawaii Island and tour Háloa Áina’s native Hawaiian ’Iliahi forest on the slopes of Mauna Loa with our ’Iliahi (Sandalwood) Experience. First, savour a bountiful brunch served beneath the cover of sandalwood and ohia trees. Then tour the farm, witnessing firsthand how the sandalwood oil is extracted and learn about the healing properties of this native tree. After your forest tour, return to our Resort for an exclusive ’Iliahi spa experience. Our resident spa intuitive leads a vibrational forest essence session, focusing on energy work with a sound bath. Then, be enveloped in the white flowering ’Iliahi body cocoon, sealing in moisturizing coconut oil and a fine sprinkle of sandalwood powder. The cocoon ends with a massage with highly emollient sandalwood oil.
Dave Scott Triathlon Experience
- Exclusively for Four Seasons guests, six-time Ironman champion Dave Scott hosts a five-day triathlon clinic. Join us for five days of coaching focused on each discipline of a triathlon. This bespoke clinic includes video analysis, a pre-camp phone consultation and a post-camp tailored training prescription, group meals and a welcome gift of triathlon apparel and gear. Experience dates for 2023 include December 4 to 8.
Hualalai Oysters and Sustainable Seafood Experiences
- Experience #1
- Journey to the north end of the Resort to our Herb Garden, where a Resort chef will guide you through the diverse offerings – tropical fruits, vegetables and herbs used daily in our restaurants. Tucked in between the rows of produce are ponds home to shrimp, kept and maintained by our on-site marine biologists. After the tour and interactive shrimp harvest, enjoy a four-course, oceanfront dinner at 'ULU Ocean Grill + Sushi Lounge. This personalized menu features sustainable local seafood and produce grown in both our herb garden in local farms throughout the island.
- Experience #2
- For oyster lovers, spend the morning with one of Hualalai's marine biologists and witness the cultivation of our Hualalai oysters, grown and harvested on-site. Learn about the different species of oysters grown in Punawai Pond, then select oysters to enjoy as your first course of an extraordinary tasting. Allow our chef to guide you through the progressive oyster tasting at Beach Tree Restaurant. Start with with hand-selected oysters, raw and untouched, and progress to other preparations, from fried to baked. Available seasonally.
Learn more about Hualalai from our team
Unpacking List: Gifts from the AinaIt’s not the things you take with you that define your journey; it’s the experiences you have and the memories you bring home. Explore our Director of Guest Relations's five sensory "souvenirs."
Local Gems: Our Guide to Hawaii IslandLocals from Four Seasons Resort Hualalai share their favourite spots to eat, shop, and play on the island of Hawaii.
A Picture Perfect Hualalai TourWe rounded up the most #photogenic sights of Hawaii, as well as a hit list of have-to-be-there spots.