Feeling adventurous? The breathtaking beauty of Hawaii Island’s mountains, volcanoes and ocean views awaits you. Hike lava fields, ride a horse through the picturesque Waipi'o Valley, drive an ATV along cliffs or trek through the rainforest to glorious waterfalls on an excursion our Concierge will be happy to arrange.
- Helicopter Tours
Venture out by helicopter to see the plunging valleys of the Hamakua Coastline to the north, the coffee district of Kona, the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the lush rainforests in the Kohala valleys. We work with the most trusted helicopter tour companies to give you a bird’s-eye view of the island.
- Stargazing at Mauna Kea
At around 14,000 feet (4,205 metres) above sea level is the summit of dormant Mauna Kea volcano, which is topped by the famous Mauna Kea Observatories. While our Concierge can arrange private tours of Mauna Kea and the volcanoes, you can also visit farther down the mountain at the Onizuka Center for International Astronomy.
- Iconic Island Hikes
Active volcanoes, lush botanical gardens, dramatic valleys and fields of lava rocks: for hikers at every level, there are numerous trails and twists to explore, from challenging to relaxed. Let us help you choose the one that’s perfect for you.
- Dramatic Views
Two of the island’s most stunning viewpoints are very close to parking, so visitors of any fitness level can enjoy them. The Waipi'o Valley Lookout takes in black-sand beaches and the lush green valley, while the southernmost point in the U.S. offers up steep cliffs and rocky landscapes. We can arrange for car rental, or have a driver bring you directly to the lookout points.
- Reforestation Initiative
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai is the first resort in the world to offer trackable and verifiable endemic tree planting as a way to offset resource and energy use. If you’d like to help, our Concierge will arrange an excursion to plant a Koa Legacy Tree, or you can make a stop to plant a tree on one of our helicopter island tours.
- Waterfall Hikes
- The Rainbow State’s waterfalls are world-famous and two – Akaka Falls and Rainbow Falls – can be reached on day trips from our Resort. We’ll be happy to arrange excursions to one or both of the enchanting state parks where the falls are found and pack you a picnic lunch to take along.
- ATV Tours
- Cruise along Hawaii’s dramatic 200-foot cliffs, or drive through the rainforest to spectacular waterfalls on an ATV adventure. Our Concierge can tailor each trip to your specific preferences. Age stipulations apply.
- Horseback Riding
- Explore the island’s rural ranches on horseback, trekking through lush pastures and past ancient Hawaiian landmarks, or ride through the stream-fed taro patches and oceanside sandy beach of the Waipi'o Valley. We can arrange excursions for individuals, couples or groups, of all ability levels.
- Zip Lining
- Coast above waterfalls and fly over rugged rainforest valleys with a zip-line tour. We work with only the most trusted zip-line tour companies to give you an amazing adventure with complete security. Some of the highest lines in the United States are located on the island of Hawaii and are just a short drive from the Resort.
- Birdwatching Tours
- The dense rainforest of Hakalau is home to rare bird species, and unique plants as well. Let us plan a tour to these less-travelled areas, where you may see the red apapane feeding among the equally red ohia blossoms.