Draw closer and connect with the marine environment at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai. Whether you're interested in the island's diverse landforms, the anchialine ponds unique to Hawaii, the 90 species of fish in King's Pond or local tilapia and oyster farming, our Resort naturalists create unforgettable educational experiences.
Marine Life Highlights
- Touch Tank Talk
Meet some of our fascinating reef life up close and personal with our touch tank talks inside King’s Pond alongside a member of our Natural Resources team.
- Tide Pool Tour
Tide pools are home to a variety of species: shelled creatures like opihi and cowry cling tightly to the rocks, brittle sea stars and hermit crabs scuttle away to hide, juvenile fish are safe from larger fish, and sea cucumbers and octopi are masters at camouflage. Learn the techniques of tide pooling with a marine naturalist as they show you what creatures to look for.
- Snorkel Lesson with Marine Naturalist
Are you a great swimmer but don’t know how to snorkel? A member of our Natural Resources team will teach you the basics and give you a guided tour of King’s Pond.
- Eagle Ray Feeding
Kainalu, our resident spotted eagle ray (Aetobatus narinari), lives in King’s Pond amongst over 90 different species of fish. Join our marine naturalists on weekdays to help feed this beautiful sea creature his favorite food of shrimp and mussels. You can also request a private interaction with Kainalu, where you’ll get an in depth understanding of his habits, history and species.
- Turtles and Tales
Join our marine naturalists on the beach to visit our resident honu, or green sea turtles. Learn about the life, strength and challenges of these beloved Hawaiian creatures.
- Behind the Scenes Tour With Fish Training
Take a closer look into how our Natural Resources team trains and maintains the health of the fish living in King's Pond. This experience includes a private feeding of the fish, our eagle ray, Kainalu, as well as a private tour of the Resort's saltwater systems with a Marine Biologist.
- Behind The Scenes Tour
Take a closer look into how we operate our saltwater systems, maintain the health of our fish and learn more about ecology and habitats at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai on a guided tour with a marine naturalist.
More Marine Life Excursions
- Fish Feeding
- King’s Pond has over 4,000 fish and more than 90 different species. Join our team in their daily feeding and witness the variety of reef fish who call Hawaiian waters home.
- Hualalai Fishing Derby
- Have some fishing fun while helping to restore the ecology of ancient Hawaiian waters at the Waiakauhi Fish Pond with our staff of marine naturalists.
- Ocean Art
- Let the ocean inspire you to create unique artwork while learning about the ocean environment.
- Ocean Life Exploration
- Our youngest guests can get up close and personal with Four Seasons Resort Hualalai’s marine life and unusual habitats. Explore our ocean world and get creative with unique projects that can be taken home in this educational experience.
- Jr. Marine Biologist
- Dreaming of becoming a marine biologist? Spend part of your day with a Resort marine naturalist, where you'll learn how to collect and record data about the unique underwater world of Hawaii. This experience is curated for kids who love science and investigating ocean life.
- Rent A Marine Biologist
- Join one of our Resort marine naturalists on any ocean activity and learn about Hawaii’s marine life and ecosystems, whether on a family canoe ride, paddle board or private charter. Our marine naturalists are highly educated and trained to bring families a memorable ocean experience.
- Eco-Tour with a Marine Naturalist
- Take a guided tour of the Resort’s natural wonders and learn about the native Hawaiian ecosystems, unique wildlife and natural and cultural history.