Marine Life Highlights
- King’s POND AND MARINE CENTER
The Resort’s signature saltwater aquarium pool, King’s Pond, has received an extensive renovation, including the addition of a Marine Activity Center as well as an additional lounge pool and sun deck. Our Natural Resources team of five on-site marine biologists hosts revamped educational programming focusing on sustainability, marine education, ocean health, and the diverse ecology of the Resort footprint. Continue the tradition of swimming with Kainalu, the Resort’s resident eagle ray, or lounge beside the newest addition to Hualalai’s famed pool experience.
- See Tank Talk
Meet some of our fascinating reef life up close and personal with our “see tanks,” where guests can see marine creatures inside King’s Pond alongside a member of our Natural Resources team.
- Tide Pool Tour
Tide pools are home to a variety of species: shelled creatures like opihi and cowry cling tightly to the rocks, brittle sea stars and hermit crabs scuttle away to hide, juvenile fish are safe from larger fish, and sea cucumbers and octopi are masters at camouflage. Learn the techniques of tide pooling with a marine naturalist as they show you what creatures to look for.
- Eagle Ray Feeding
Kainalu, our resident spotted eagle ray (Aetobatus narinari), lives in King’s Pond with over 60 different species of fish. Join our marine naturalist on weekdays to watch this beautiful sea creature have some of his favourite food of shrimp, oysters and mussels. You can also request a private feeding with Kainalu, where you’ll get an in-depth understanding of his habits, history and species.
- Turtles and Tales
Join our marine naturalists on the beach to visit our resident honu, or green sea turtles. Learn about the life, strength and challenges of these beloved Hawaiian creatures.
- Behind the Scenes Tour
Take a closer look into how our Natural Resources team trains and maintains the health of the fish living in King’s Pond. This experience includes a private feeding of the fish, our eagle ray, Kainalu, as well as a private tour of the Resort's saltwater systems with a Marine Biologist.
Take a closer look into how we operate our saltwater systems, maintain the health of our fish and learn more about ecology and habitats at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai on a guided tour with a marine naturalist.
More Marine Life Excursions
- Fish Feeding
- King’s Pond has over 1,000 fish and more than 60 different species. Join our team in their daily feeding and witness the variety of reef fish who call Hawaiian waters home.
- Hualalai Fishing Derby
- Have some fishing fun while helping to restore the ecology of ancient Hawaiian waters at the Waiakauhi Fish Pond with our staff of marine naturalists.
- Ocean Life Exploration
- Our youngest guests can get up close and personal with Four Seasons Resort Hualalai’s marine life and unusual habitats. Explore our ocean world and get creative with unique projects that can be taken home in this educational experience.
- Jr. Marine Biologist
- Dreaming of becoming a marine biologist? Spend part of your day with a Resort marine naturalist, where you’ll learn how to collect and record data about the unique underwater world of Hawaii. This experience is curated for kids who love science and investigating ocean life.
- Rent A Marine Biologist
- Join one of our Resort marine naturalists on any ocean activity and learn about Hawaii’s marine life and ecosystems, whether on a family canoe ride, paddle board or private charter. Our marine naturalists are highly educated and trained to bring families a memorable ocean experience.
- Eco-Tour with a Marine Naturalist
- Take a guided tour of the Resort’s natural wonders and learn about the native Hawaiian ecosystems, unique wildlife and natural and cultural history.