Water Sports Highlights
- Alaka'i Nalu Ocean Adventures
Our Alaka 'i Nalu, or "leaders of the waves," are Hualalai’s ocean ambassadors. The Alaka'i will share their skills in water sports and their love and knowledge of Hawaiian culture and the ocean life around us.
- Whale Watching
Hop onto our Ribcraft boat and head offshore for an up-close look at the spectacular humpback whales that migrate to the warm Hawaiian waters each year between January and March. The boat is equipped with underwater microphones that bring the songs of the whales from the waters to your ears.
- Ultimate Alaka‘i Nalu Adventure
Join the Alaka‘i Nalu (the Resort’s on-site, water activity experts) for a day on the water. Your private charter boat will take you to secluded beaches and secret snorkel spots where you can see playful spinner dolphins, watch a manta ray glide through the water or spot a humpback whale breaching in the distance.
- Stand-up Paddleboarding
Coast along the water at your own pace, taking in the incredible marine life just below the surface and getting in a full-body workout at the same time. Our instructors are on hand to assist when you need it.
- Snorkel Adventure Cruise
Speed through the water on our Ribcraft on your way to the extensive reefs off the North Kona coast. Home to some of the world’s best snorkelling, here you might come face-to-face with our “lucky” green sea turtles or the graceful manta ray.
Experience the sensation of “flying” underwater! Hold onto the watersport board as a boat pulls you along past schools of fish, or try some underwater gymnastics.
- Outrigger Canoeing
Explore the Ka‘upulehu coast just as Hawaiian Ali‘i (chiefs) did in ancient times. Our Alaka‘i Nalu will teach you the basic skills of outrigger paddling and steer you through the waves for an unforgettable couples or family adventure. For ages 12 and up.
More Water Excursions
- Just a couple-minutes swim from shore lies an underwater world of colorful fish and vibrant coral. Complimentary snorkel equipment, including fins, snorkels and masks, is available through the Alaka‘i Nalu and at King’s Pond.
- Scooter Snorkelling
- Snorkelling goes high-tech with this underwater scooter. As the dive propulsion vehicle pulls you through the warm water, you can watch the coastline zip by or free dive to get a close-up look at reefs and marine life.
- Deep-Sea Fishing
- The Kona waters are filled with all kinds of fish, thanks to close proximity to a huge drop-off which descends thousands of feet to the ocean bottom. Ask our Concierge to arrange a day of deep-sea fishing, an unforgettable addition to your Hawaii vacation.