Japan’s capital has long been one of the most visited cities around the world. And for good reason – it’s a foodie’s paradise, with a vibrant urban scene seamlessly blending tradition and modernity. With Tokyo’s ever-changing calendar of events and established seasonal favourites, our team behind Tokyo by Four Seasons aims to keep the experiences on offer fresh and on rotation. We also are available to personally curate experiences based on your personal interests.
Learn Japanese traditional art (maki-e) and make your “one-and-only” piece of art using Urushi lacquer and metal powder, followed by a traditional Japanese dinner beautifully presented in exquisite lacquerware on this half-day excursion in Ginza.
- Sea to Table
Take a thrilling fishing adventure in Tokyo Bay, known as one of the best fishing spots in Japan, and follow it up with a mouth-watering gourmet experience in a local Izakaya restaurant where a professional chef will prepare and cook the fish you catch.
- Market Mornings
They say the early bird catches the worm – or in this case, the tuna. Rise early and meet your guide, a fourth-generation Edomae sushi chef, for an insider’s visit to the famed Tsukiji Outer Market, followed by a private meal at the chef’s 100-year-old, family-owned restaurant.
- Kaiseki Dinner Aboard a Yakatabune Boat
Make yourself at home and sink into the recessed seats – zashiki seating, as it is called here – on a traditional Japanese-style wooden boat while admiring the city views as you cruise down the Sumida River into Tokyo Bay, and as your home-style kaiseki (multi-course) dinner is served.
- Tokyo Imperial Palace
Walk around the outer grounds and take note of the Nijubashi bridges over the moat that protects the inner palace. Or, head on directly to the East Gardens and make sure to visit Ninomaru, a Japanese-style garden. Avoid the lines by letting us pre-arrange your tickets.
- Senso-Ji Temple
Tokyo’s oldest temple is in the historic Asakusa district. First, stop to take a photo at the iconic outer Thunder Gate before making your way through Nakamise, the shopping street leading to the temple’s inner gate, beyond which you will find the main hall and a five-storey pagoda.Details
- Dinner at MOTIF
Under the culinary direction of Michelin-starred Chef Hiroshi Nakamichi, a meal at MOTIF lets you experience the seasonal bounty of his native Hokkaido, prepared using impeccable French technique, resulting in a food experience that is authentic, yet unreplicated anywhere else.
- An Introduction to Japanese Skin Care
From the prestigious and technologically advanced potions to tried-and-true household essentials, Japan has perfected the art of skin care and cosmetics in its very own way. Let our Beauty Concierge act as your invaluable guide to making sense of it all.
Museums and Galleries
- Nezu Museum
- The National Museum of Western Art
- Yamatane Museum of Art
- Okuno Building
- National Art Center Tokyo
- Watari Museum of Contemporary Art
- Shiseido Gallery
- Ginza Graphic Gallery
Cool and Fun
- Kitchenware Shopping on Kappabashi Street
- Famed Kappabashi Street and its surroundings are a magnet for professional and budding chefs alike on the hunt for everything needed for cooking. The top of their list features an unparalleled selection of knives (both Japanese and internationally made), but also ceramics, Japanese lacquer tableware, an unimaginable array of cookery and specialized items, replica foods and so much more. It’s a shopping Mecca, which also means a great place to grab a few souvenirs and, if not, at least offer further discovery into the Japanese world of food and great people-watching.
- Make Your Own Food-Display Models
- The perfect complement to an excursion on Kappabashi Street is a class at one of the specialized studios that have been handcrafting food-display models and perfecting the art for centuries. Your one-hour lesson will start with a demonstration by one of their experts allowing you to admire the technique and skillfulness that goes into each piece. Next, you will execute your very own model with the helpful guidance of staff. On your way out, be sure to stop by the boutique where you can purchase a wide array of fake food items or even “take-away” kits if you want to endeavor the process again upon your return home.
- Looking for a fun, entertaining and educational excursion sure to please little ones and parents, too? Kidzania is an international chain of themed environments welcoming children ages 4 to 14 with a popular outpost in the city. In this educationally driven environment, each child is immersed in the Kidzania “city-world” and experiences living autonomously during time spent there. Children are encouraged to visit various stations where they experience first-hand the workings of real life but in a fashion that is approachable and fun. Entrance to Kidzania can be high-demand and therefore limited on occasion. Also to note, dedicated English activities are arranged on specific days, weekly. Our Concierge will be able to provide assistance and make arrangements as necessary.
- Miraikan, National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation
- Featuring participation-based, permanent and temporary exhibitions, Miraikan offers an educative yet stimulating discovery of everything science and innovation in Japan. Although appealing to all age groups, the museum is especially popular with teens and makes for worthwhile time spent among those seeking a dynamic and interactive experience. In addition to the exhibitions, look forward to a trial of the UNI-CUB – a balance-controlled robot vehicle – and don’t miss the ASIMO robot demonstrations at scheduled times throughout the day. The Dome Theatre is also a favourite!
- Shopping in Ginza with a Personal Consultant
- Tokyo boasts undeniable style, and Ginza, the city’s most celebrated shopping district close to our Hotel, is the best place for a healthy dose of retail therapy. For the ultimate indulgence, make your shopping excursion one to remember with the assistance of a personal shopper. Start with a one-on-one consultation ahead of your appointment to identify any special needs or style preferences. Then sit back and revel in the moment while options are presented to you, each suited to your taste and aesthetics. A personal-shopping experience in Ginza is the best way to take home some irresistible items sure to evoke memories beyond your time in the Japanese capital. BOOKINGS: Must be made 24 hours in advance and subject to availability. Ask our Concierge for more details.