Executive Vice President and Chief People and Culture Officer
As Executive Vice President and Chief People and Culture Officer, Anna Filipopoulos’ mandate goes well beyond the traditional human resources function at Four Seasons.
“The success of our culture is about nurturing an inclusive environment where individuals are seen, heard and valued. It’s about cultivating an employee community united in their dedication to common goals.”
“As a company known for exemplary service, our people are at the core of our success, consistently creating positive experiences for guests and fellow colleagues. At Four Seasons, we welcome individuals who bring unique experiences, who offer fresh and innovative thinking, and who champion our product as frontline brand ambassadors.”
Through this lens, Anna looks at the full length and breadth of the Four Seasons employee experience. From initial hiring to ongoing skills development and career growth, Anna focuses on mentorship and coaching, helping colleagues worldwide reach their full potential. She also works in partnership with senior leaders across the organization to identify tomorrow’s leaders, fostering their careers and ensuring strategic succession planning.
“At Four Seasons, we believe in the idea of ‘freedom within a framework.’ Yes, we have very high standards, but we also have an empowered workforce of over 40,000 employees globally – all of whom work tirelessly to bring the brand to life for our guests.”
The Golden Rule – Four Seasons guiding principle – applies as much to employees as to the guests they serve. Anna firmly believes that enhancing the employee experience is more than creating a positive work environment; it is about ensuring collaboration and innovation are rewarded, and that employees feel valued and listened to by the company and their co-workers.
A human resources professional with global experience, Anna previously held executive positions in the pharmaceutical, retail, energy and technology sectors. Anna holds two formal degrees and remains a lifelong learner, continuously furthering her skills in leadership development, coaching and cultural stewardship to the benefit of the people she mentors and the companies she has worked with.
- At Four Seasons: Joined in 2020 in her current position.
- Previously: Anna was the Chief People Officer/Group HR Director at mobile power company Aggreko based in the UK, and prior to that was Senior Vice President, People and Growth at Softchoice, a leading IT solutions company. She also previously held senior leadership positions at Centrica Plc/Direct Energy, Cara Operations, MDS Diagnostics Service/LifeLabs, Aventis Pasteur, Pharmacia Canada, and Pfizer.
- Education and professional designations: Honours BA degree from the University of Western Ontario, Master of Business Administration from the University of Toronto; additional certifications in executive coaching, change management and leadership.
- On mentoring, coaching and leadership: Anna believes that the best leaders build for confidence and provide space for employees to reach their full potential. Great leaders coach, support, inspire and empower people to take ownership of their personal and professional growth.
- On supporting working parents: The best workplaces understand that the whole person is coming to work. Leaders who support fulfilment in family, work, health and personal growth are needed and necessary in the modern world.
- On the influence and importance of family: Early inspirations include her mother, who worked at a hotel. “She loved her job, spoke of her work with great pride, and was treated very well – that has always resonated with me.” Of her husband and their two adult daughters, she says, “We are a very close family, and their support and encouragement means everything to me.”