Eagle County offers 58 miles of paved recreational paths. Our Concierge can arrange the rental of a mountain bike, cruiser or e-bike so you can explore. Take your bike up the gondola with a bike haul pass and then enjoy breathtaking views of the Gore Range as you pedal along the golf course and through aspen groves down the mountain back to the Resort.
- Horseback Riding
Saddle up! Riders of all abilities will enjoy an outing through aspen groves, wildflowers and sagebrush on open pastures along the creek and mountainous terrain. Kids ages 7 and older are welcome to hit the horseback trails and younger buckaroos can test their skills on pony rides.
- Tee off at one of the region's top courses. Red Sky Ranch is a private club boasting an 18-hole Tom Fazio and Greg Norman-designed course with panoramic views of the Rockies, while The Club at Cordillera offers four courses. Or hit the greens at the beautiful Beaver Creek, home to a course designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr., or the Sonnenalp Golf Club, where you'll find one of the longest golf seasons in the valley. Additionally, local courses are a wedge away in Vail and Eagle-Vail.
- Betty Ford Alpine Gardens
- Considered the highest botanical garden in the United States, the Betty Ford Alpine Gardens offers a beautiful display of high-altitude plants in natural and cultivated landscapes. Plant lovers will enjoy a guided tour, while children will delight in a variety of programs. The gardens also host cultural events and yoga.
- Whitewater Rafting
- Class II Dinosaur Discovery float trips are perfect for younger paddlers, or try some family-friendly Class III rapids. If you're craving something more adventurous, our Concierge can book a rafting trip on Class IV or Class V rapids. Looking for calmer waters? Adults will enjoy a float trip that ends with a wine tasting at Vines at Vail.
- Piney River Ranch
- Visit one of Colorado’s favourite lakes, Piney Lake at Piney River Ranch, for hiking, fishing, stand-up paddling, canoeing and horseback riding amidst spectacular views.
- 4 Eagle Ranch
- Let 4 Eagle Ranch introduce you to the historic heritage of the Wild West, forged on the high plains and mountain peaks of Colorado. Only 25 minutes from Vail, 4 Eagle Ranch offers an authentic ranch experience plus fun family activities. Ride your horse through fragrant sagebrush, cheer along at a rodeo or gather around the campfire during one of the Western Family Nights.
- Adventure Ridge
- The Eagle Bahn Gondola out of Lionshead is a spectacular 10-minute ride to the top of Vail Mountain at Eagle’s Nest. Explore all the activities offered at Adventure Ridge, surrounded by unbelievable views of the Sawatch, New York and Gore Ranges, and the famous Mount of the Holy Cross. Enjoy lunch, dinner, barbecue or Sunday brunch at Game Creek, Bistro 14 or the Talons Grill on this side of Vail Mountain. For a different perspective, take Gondola One up out of Vail Village to The 10th Restaurant, Sarge’s Grill or to hike down the mountain.
Enjoy alpine adventures in the Colorado Rockies year-round. In summer, climb a 14er (a 14,000-foot mountain); in winter, try snow-shoeing and hiking. Trek to an alpine lake, embark on an invigorating climb, camp overnight or take a leisurely stroll with llamas to lunch – whatever your preference, we've got a trail and a guide for you.
Whether you're a novice angler to a well-seasoned fisherman, your guide will treat you to an experience on the legendary rivers, streams and ponds of Vail Valley. Winter is ideal for fishing and a great time to enjoy the stunning scenery in the heart of the Rockies. Fishing gear – including waders – is available at the Resort.
- Get a bird’s-eye view of Vail Valley with a tandem instructor who will do all the flying for you! The pilots fly with digital cameras and will document your entire experience – an invaluable memento of your adventure.
- Ice Skating
- Dobson Ice Arena is one of the largest multi-purpose ice facilities on Colorado’s Western Slope. It is open year-round for hockey, figure skating and broomball, and offers a variety of public-skate times, classes, leagues and competitions – from Story Time Skate to the Vail Invitational Skating Championships.
- Hot Springs
- Relax in the hot springs pools of Glenwood Springs, about 50 minutes from Vail. Restore your mind, body and soul whilst overlooking the Colorado River with spectacular views of Mount Sopris. Choose from Iron Mountain Hot Springs or Glenwood Hot Springs.
- Colorado Ski & Snowboard Museum
- The Colorado Ski & Snowboard Museum preserves and interprets the history of skiing and snowboarding. Interactive exhibits include Winter Olympic memorabilia, Colorado skiing artifacts and 10th Mountain Division films and displays. Films and audio clips allow guests to hear firsthand from Vail pioneers and Hall of Fame members as they share their personal memories of Vail. A gift shop features gifts, souvenirs and ski home décor items like ski posters, ornaments, books, ski art and 10th Mountain Division collectibles.
- Art in Public Places
- Enjoy a complimentary one-hour public art tour of Vail on the first and third Wednesdays of the month January 15 through April 15 with the Town of Vail’s Art in Public Places. The tour begins at Vail Village Welcome Center at 3:30 p.m. Your guide will take you through Vail Village and share the history of the Vail Valley, the founding of Vail Mountain, the master planning of the village and the importance of site-specific art. The town’s public art collection includes over 55 works, including 35 by Colorado artists.
- Dance, Music & Art
- The Mountain Art Collective is a movement dedicated to the preservation and proliferation of the arts in the town of Vail. Focused on creating cultural stimulation by elevating local artists, performers and educators, the collective offers a dedicated for education and entertainment and is a wonderful outlet for those who are interested in dance, music and art.
More Year-Round Activities
- Scenic Helicopter Tours
- Colorado National Monument
- 10th Mountain Huts
- Escape to Four Seasons Vail this Winter
- Skiing & Snowboarding
Near Gondola One, just a short walk on a heated pathway or shuttle ride from the Resort, our Ski Concierge is your home base for mountain adventures, offering equipment rentals, ski lessons, trail advice, weather updates and more. Skiers of all skill levels will feel their hearts race as they set off down the mountain through cold, crisp air.
- Snow-Shoeing & Cross-Country
Take a guided snow-shoe hike through alpine meadows or through an evergreen forest for a day off the slopes – or as a great workout in the backcountry. Let us arrange your cross-country skiing at one of the Nordic Centers in Vail and Beaver Creek, where an 18-hole summer golf course converts to 17 kilometers of set track for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing on 10 kilometers.
Snuggle up under warm wool blankets and let an experienced guide drive your team of dogs through Vail's breathtaking winter wonderland. Afterwards, take a tour of the kennel and spend some time with the puppies. We recommend advance reservations for this popular activity.
- Adventure Ridge
Located at the top of the Eagle Bahn Gondola in Lionshead at the top of Vail Mountain, Adventure Ridge offers family fun for all ages. Check in with the Concierge for the hours of operation. Activities include snow tubing, ski biking, an alpine coaster, the Nature Discovery Center and “Skeology,” where guests learn about snow science.
- For those who don’t want to be out in the cold, a heated 13-passenger, four-track Snowcoach is the perfect way to see the Colorado backcountry. The trails wind through the White River National Forest at historic Camp Hale, climbing to 12,000 feet and offering majestic views of the Colorado Rockies and the Continental Divide.
- Ice Skating
- The outdoor Solaris Ice Rink is the perfect place to lace up your skates. Open daily, it is located within walking distance from the Resort. Ice skates are available for rent by the hour. The Alderhof outdoor rink, located in the heart of Vail Square, is surrounded by family-friendly dining options, and open daily throughout the winter with rentals available. Dobson is Vail’s only indoor ice arena with figure skating lessons and shows, adult and children’s hockey camps and leagues, and public skating.
- Join a guide for one of the most exhilarating outdoor adventures that winter has to offer. The two-hour guided tour of the backcountry is perfect for beginners or experienced riders. For the ultimate adrenaline-pumping ride, try the high-performance tour. Guests ages 14 and older can drive their own machines, or cozy up for a romantic ride – one machine can accommodate up to two riders.
More Winter Activities
- Backcountry skiing
- Ice Climbing