Featured Activity: Whale Watching
- Winter is Whale Season
Humpback whales love to play in the warm waters between Maui, Lana'i and Kaho'olawe. Four Seasons Maui's elevated position above Wailea beach provides many opportunities to see the whales from the comfort of your chaise longue. Or, join us in the more active ways you can see these magnificent creatures.
Ways to Watch Humpback Whales
- Migration of the Humpback Whales
Four Seasons Maui's location on the south side of Maui offers a unique vantage point and multiple options to engage with the annual migration of the majestic humpback whales.
- By Outrigger Canoe
Catch sight of the whales during this traditional Hawaiian sport, which is offered complimentary.
- By Kayak
Rent a kayak from Maui Undersea Adventures to get up close and personal.
- By Catamaran
Enjoy an awe-inspiring glimpse of these gentle giants aboard the luxury sailing catamaran Alii Nui. Organized tours depart out of Ma’alaea Harbor, 20 minutes from the Resort.
- By Private Yacht
Organize a more private experience through our concierge and uncover the mysteries of Hawaii's humpback whales.
- By Helicopter
Spot humpback whales from breathtaking elevations on a private excursion over the water.
- From the Resort
See humpback whales from the Resort grounds almost daily.
Water Sports Highlights
- Outrigger Canoe
Enjoy stories about Maui and our neighboring islands and be on the lookout for green sea turtles, reef fish, manta rays and humpback whales.
- Stand-Up Paddleboard (SUP)
Easier than you might think, SUP is a holistic workout that is beneficial for body, mind and spirit – and a lot of fun too!
- SUP Yoga
Improve your balance, strength and flexibility with a stand-up paddleboard yoga class in the Pacific Ocean. This energising class takes your yoga practice to new levels in an idyllic Maui setting.
- Kayaking Tours
Join Maui Undersea Adventures (the Resort's on-site water activity experts) for an exploration of the magnificent south Maui coastline by kayak. Jump in for a snorkel or enjoy an extraordinary encounter with the humpbacks during whale season.
Maui's finest surfing instructors will have you "hanging ten" by the end of your two-hour lesson. Surfing safaris are also available for guests who are intermediate or advanced surfers.
- Deep-Sea Fishing
Target Maui's big-game fish including marlin, ahi (yellow fin tuna), ono (wahoo), and mahimahi (dolphin fish). Back on land, our chefs will transform your catch into an unforgettable dinner.
Hone your skills with a lesson from some of the sport's best instructors designed to suit your experience.
More Water Excursions
- Swimming and Snorkelling
- Dotted with coves, the crescent-shaped Wailea Beach is perfect for snorkelling, and its warm, clear and coral-free waters are ideal for swimmers. Dive in and explore with our snorkel gear, offered right on-site.
- Scooter Snorkelling
- Take snorkelling in Maui to the next level with the newest underwater rage: Scooter snorkelling. Propelled by a scooter (or "dive propulsion vehicle"), you'll zip through Maui's warm waters as you take in the visionary delights of the Wailea Reef.
- Scuba Diving
- Explore Maui's vibrant marine life with Maui Undersea Adventures, who offers a range of activities including an introductory reef dive and off-site dive at Makena Landing. The company's expert instructors run scuba and PADI certifications for divers of all abilities, and certified divers can join on an atmospheric night dive.