Experience an unforgettable family vacation in the heart of the Serengeti National Park. With raised, protected walkways and the constant security of the Maasai warriors, Four Seasons Safari Lodge Serengeti offers peace of mind for your family's safety amongst the raw wilderness of one of Africa's greatest safari locations. Take a dip in our infinity pool and gaze out to visiting wildlife at the animal watering hole or unwind from the excitement of an early morning game drive with a family yoga class. With so much to see, rise early to board a hot air balloon safari (available for children aged 7 and above) and marvel at breathtaking views of the wildlife and nature below, or pass an unforgettable evening with a family dinner out in the bush.
Consider planning your family's stay in the Terrace Suite, which comes equipped with a private pool and a double trundle bed for children. For adults travelling with one child, there's the option of placing an extra bed in a Savannah or Horizon Room, both of which offer spectacular views of the Serengeti Plains.
For children under the age of 11 staying in the same room as their parents or guardians, accommodations as well as food and beverages are offered complimentary. For children aged 11 to 17 staying in the same room as their parents or guardians, all of the Lodge's amenities may be enjoyed at 50% of the published additional adult rates.
The Big Five Family Safari Itinerary
Discover the ultimate family safari adventure with our Big Five Family Safari Package.
Day 1 – Arrival in the Serengeti
- Connecting from either Arusha, Kilimanjaro International Airport or Julius Nyerere International in Dar Es Salaam, begin your family safari adventure on board a bush plane for the start of a magical journey into the heart of the wilderness. Cruise over the Serengeti Plains to take in the breathtaking scenery and appreciate the sheer scale of the African savannah.
- Upon arrival at Seronera Airstrip, a Four Seasons representative awaits to aid with the arrival process and escort you to a waiting transfer. During the 45 minute journey to the Lodge, catch a first glimpse of the region’s famous wildlife, with elephants, giraffes and hippos being likely greeters.
- The Maasai tribesmen welcome you to Four Seasons Safari Lodge, while a delicious rhino cookie awaits the little ones in your Terrace Waterhole Suite.
- After a leisurely lunch at Maji Bar and Terrace, take a dip in the Lodge’s infinity pool to refresh, and swim just metres from the active animal watering hole.
- For children, an introduction to the Kijana Klub and fellow young safari adventurers is a must for the afternoon’s activities, allowing them to get to know all the fun facilities on offer and to meet the team of the Lodge’s interactive Discovery Centre.
- After a long day of travel, enjoy a leisurely evening in Kula’s Restaurant, where live cooking stations complement an array of international dishes and tempting desserts.
Day 2 – Up, Up and Away!
- The excitement of the kids will make a 4:00 am wake-up call fade into insignificance as you depart with coffee in hand for a sunrise balloon safari (available to children aged 7 and above). Taking flight over the Serengeti Plains, your balloon master, will lower you to tree-height and soar through the air on this unforgettable adventure that is famous for its animal sightings, particularly the herds of buffalo. After landing, enjoy a champagne breakfast and re-live every moment of your aerial experience.
- Back at the Lodge, parents can relax by the pool, while the kids join the team at the Discovery Centre to learn more about how wildlife researchers study animals, with them having the chance to use remote camera trap technology around the Lodge to capture photos of visiting wildlife during the night – possibly even catching a photo of an elusive leopard!
- Following a well-earned rest, dinner in the traditional Boma Grill restaurant awaits, with a live performance from the Maasai warriors of their tribal dance and song.
Day 3 – Out in the Bush
- Head out early on your first official game drive to see the Serengeti’s magnificent wildlife up-close. With the expert knowledge of your driver guide, discover the hidden secrets of one of the world's oldest ecosystems.
- To further enhance the knowledge learnt on your morning game drive, join the team at the Discovery Centre and help the Lodge’s Resident Naturalist review animal photos to support the work of the Serengeti Lion Project.
- Later, go behind the scenes with a private chef to learn the secrets of local Tanzanian specialties in a family cooking class, where you will prepare the local Malva Pudding, while the kids cut out cookies in the shape of their favourite animals.
- By evening, continue your safari experience with a family bush dinner in an unforgettable, torchlit setting.
Day 4 – Maasai Traditions
- Head to the Spa for rejuvenation, while the kids spend the morning with a Maasai warrior, who will pass on his bush-skills and traditions – like how to make fire using sticks and elephant dung, how to make a toothbrush from a tree and how the Maasai use plants as medicine.
- Before the final evening game drive, spend some time poolside, with a camera on-hand to snap any of the visiting wildlife to the nearby watering hole.
- Upon return to the Lodge, enjoy a relaxed evening at Maji Bar and Terrace for a light dinner, just a stone’s throw from the Discovery Centre, where an evening talk or wildlife documentary can also be seen.
Day 5 – A Fond Farewell
- With a Safari Passport full of stamps, prepare for the final mini game drive to Seronera Airstrip as a final chance to see the Serengeti’s incredible wildlife before departure.
*Restaurant openings may vary and will be communicated via the Lodge’s weekly Dining Guide.