SEA TURTLE EDUCATION PROGRAM
This summer, Four Seasons Resort Nevis will honour one of the island’s most faithful annual visitors: the sea turtles that grace the shores and sands of St. Kitts and Nevis. In a mystery only Mother Nature can understand, these magical marine creatures embrace instincts that bring them back to the same beach where they were born to nest their turtle hatchlings.
Sea turtles share space with the Queen of England on the Eastern Caribbean currency and remain one of the island’s most precious natural treasures. As age old as the dinosaurs, sea turtles are struggling for survival with only a 1 in 1,000 chance of baby hatchlings reaching maturity.
In tribute, Four Seasons Resort Nevis has partnered with the International Sea Turtle Conservancy and the Nevis Turtle Group to engage residents and visitors of the island in a seasonal program to protect the sea turtles. During the turtle nesting season from June through October, guests can join nighttime Turtle Watch Walks with the Nevis Turtle Group. Visitors can observe nesting sea turtles and hatchlings emerging on the moonlit, secluded beaches of Nevis. Participants can assist the volunteer group with marking nests for safekeeping and obtaining scientific data that assist conservationists throughout the world to track the mysterious migratory paths of turtles.
Younger guests can enjoy Sea Turtle Camp all year long at the eco-friendly Kids for All Seasons “Camp Nevis” program. Children enjoy a variety of indoor and outdoor activities that include turtle reading tales, arts and crafts, postcard drawing contests, and interactive turtle beach activities.
The Sea Turtle Conservancy Weekend in Nevis is an ideal time for guests, residents and visitors to connect with the local environment. The roster of complimentary events includes:
- Friday, July 10: Sea turtle naming contest through Four Seasons Resort Nevis Facebook page
- Saturday, July 11 (5:30 – 6:30 pm): Sea turtle discovery interactive mixer with the experts from Sea Turtle Conservancy and Nevis Turtle Group
- Sunday, July 12 (8:30 – 9:15 am): Live sea turtle release at the Beach House at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
- Monday, July 13 (8:30 – 9:15 am): Live sea turtle release at the Beach House at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
- Monday, July 13 (8:30 am – 2:30 pm): Sea Turtle Camp for Kids for junior conservationists ages 10-16 and Sea Turtle Camp for Tykes for children ages 3 – 9, at Kids for All Seasons Centre