Before You Go
To help you make the most of your getaway, be sure to bring clothes and supplies appropriate for an adventure in the Serengeti. Necessary vaccinations and visa requirements should be fulfilled before you travel to Africa.
Preparing for Your Adventure
- Please be sure to carefully check your visa requirements before your intended date of travel.
- It is a mandatory requirement that you travel to Africa with at least two blank passport pages per country you plan to visit, and that your passport is valid for a minimum of six months after your date of travel.
- We strongly advise that you take out comprehensive travel insurance covering yourself for personal effects, personal accident, medical and emergency travel expenses, and trip cancellation.
- Please consult your physician before you travel to Africa for advice on precautions against malaria and other potential medical issues.
- Flights and road transfers are typically quoted on a shared/scheduled basis. Please note that the travel route may vary on the day.
- Scheduled charter flights may stop at airstrips/airports en route to your destination to collect or drop off other guests or to refuel. Guests may also be required to change planes at some of these stops. As a result of these stops, flight durations may vary.
- Tanzanian National Park and concession fees are charged per person, per 24-hour period.
- If you are travelling to Tanzania from yellow fever endemic countries/regions (or if you have a transit in an affected area of more than 12 hours and/or leave the airport), please note that you will be required to present a yellow fever vaccination certificate upon arrival in any port of debarkations here in Tanzania. If you require the yellow fever vaccination certificate, it is imperative that this is obtained no less than 10 days prior to travel. Direct arrivals from non-endemic countries in Europe and North America are not required to show the certificate, however this remains at the discretion of Airport Immigration.
Clothing and Footwear
As a general guide, comfortable, casual, wash-and-wear clothes are recommended. Please note that muted colours are recommended for game-viewing. Game drives are conducted in the early morning and late afternoon, which can be very cold, especially during the winter months.
The most practical items to pack for safari are:
- Khaki, green, beige and neutral colours (dark blue and black clothing should be avoided as it attracts tsetse flies)
- Shirts with long sleeves (even in summer, for protection from the sun, mosquitoes and tsetse flies)
- Shorts or a light skirt
- Jeans or safari trousers for evenings and cooler days
- A jacket and sweater are recommended for early morning and evening game drives
- Lightweight, waterproof jacket
- Swim and beachwear
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, moisturizer and lip salve are all essentials
- Strong insect repellent
- Binoculars and camera equipment
- Good-quality safari clothing is available in the Lodge's retail shop
Although we are equipped with a first aid clinic, we suggest that you bring a small, airtight container with a few well-chosen articles, such as bandages, travel sickness tablets, antiseptic cream, antihistamine cream, pain-relieving tablets for headaches, indigestion tablets, sunscreen, eye drops, insect repellent, medication for upset stomachs and after-sun moisturizer. We remind travellers who have any allergies, such as to insect stings, or an asthma condition to pack the required medication. Please remember to bring any prescribed medication.
- Weather is hot and humid on the coast and the islands, and temperate inland.
- June, July and August can be very cold on the rim of Ngorongoro Crater.
- Rainfall can be expected in March, April, May and November.
- Temperatures are generally pleasant, ranging between 15ºC (59ºF) and 26ºC (78ºF) during the day, and sometimes rising above 30ºC (86ºF) in the warmer months.
230/240 volts AC, 50 Hz. Plugs are square three-pin, fused or unfused.
- The currency is the Tanzanian shilling (TZS). 1 TZS = 100 cents. Notes are in denominations of TZS 10,000, 5,000, 2,000, 1,000 and 500.
- Banks and foreign exchange bureaux are available at all international airports and in all main towns.
- Four Seasons Serengeti Lodge Tanzania accepts American Express, MasterCard, Visa, JCB, Diners Club, China Union Pay.
- In addition to credit cards, travellers should bring US dollars in cash.
- Small denominations are recommended.
- US dollars are widely accepted; however, notes dated before 2006 are no longer accepted.
- High denomination notes may not be accepted.
- Travellers cheques are not accepted as a method of payment in Tanzania.
- Monday to Friday: 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Saturday: 8:30 am – 1:00 pm