The Maldives is renowned for its abundance of fish life, warm pristine waters and close encounters with pelagics such as manta rays and whale sharks.
As the country’s fastest-cruising liveaboard, Four Seasons Explorer gives divers access to a wide variety of secluded hotspots, including exciting channel dives with sharks and rays, vibrant thilas, cleaning stations, wrecks and coral overhangs.
Daily diving schedule
Divers can usually expect two dives in the morning and one in the afternoon, with the option of additional sunrise, night and wreck excursions. From May to November, the currents move large quantities of plankton through the atolls, attracting manta rays and whale sharks to the eastern side of the country. From December to April, the wind reverses, resulting in 30 to 40 metres (100 to 130 feet) of incredible visibility and consistent, near-perfect conditions.
Dive itineraries adapt to currents and conditions, seasonal marine visitors and the diving requirements of those on board. Every cruise aboard Four Seasons Explorer is unique.
Four Seasons Explorer is geared towards qualified divers. It is the ideal vessel on which to hone your dive skills, increase your underwater confidence and develop specialty skills in thrilling new areas.
Development courses offered on board range from Advanced Open Water Diver to over 12 specialties, including Enriched Air Nitrox, Deep, Peak Performance Buoyancy, Drift and Underwater Naturalist. Or just join us for fun to explore some of the most unspoilt and mesmerising dive sites in the Maldives. Please contact the dive team prior to embarkation to discuss any particular dive interests or course requirements.
On-board diving facilities
- Multilingual dive staff and experienced crew, including a marine biologist (maximum 6:1 guest to dive-guide ratio, with those of similar experience levels grouped together where possible)
- Separate nitrox and air compressor systems
- Diving conducted from a modern 16.7-metre (55-foot) support vessel, Aseykara II, a custom-designed dive dhoni with full safety and navigation equipment
- Full equipment for all on-board guests, including SCUBAPRO BCDs and regulators, Suunto computers and Cressi fins
- Surface marker buoy and Sea Marshall personal locator radio beacon for all divers
- Hot and cold showers on two sea-level platforms
- Dedicated fresh-water rinse tank for camera equipment
- Coffee- and tea-making facilities and post-dive refreshments
- Underwater photography and videography services available (fees apply)
Manta Trust Expeditions 2015
Join Guy Stevens and the team from The Manta Trust – the world’s leading manta ray charity – onboard Four Seasons Explorer for a thrilling insight into the world of manta rays and whale sharks.
Improve your free-diving technique, learn how to take ID photos and help record critical environmental information as you immerse in every aspect of the research experience.
Complemented by the superlative water sports, leisure and diving facilities of the world’s only floating Four Seasons ‘resort’, this is a unique opportunity to engage with the Maldives ‘gentle giants’ alongside some of the world’s leading experts.
Suitable for divers and non-divers alike: including families with children as young as 8 years old. The seven-night Mantra Trust Expeditions is available from September 1–8, 2016 and September 15–22, 2016 (3 and 4-night cruises also available within these dates). For more information, on Manta Trust Expeditions package.