You can help conserve resources by staying at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo. The following is an example of our sustainability initiatives and how the Resort has implemented conservation measures throughout its facilities. For more information, please contact the Resort directly.
- We support the local economy by buying produce only from local farmers that are committed to environmentally sensitive growing techniques.
- All fish and seafood is caught locally.
- The Resort donates all organic food waste to a local Tico farmer so he can feed his animals, free of charge. This arrangement also helps the Resort reduce consumption of plastic bags.
- The spa looks to its local rainforests for natural ingredients to revitalize and restore the body. Ingredients include local plants, fruits and flowers that have strong, natural healing properties. The hydrating facial uses propolis, an ingredient collected from bees in poplar trees. The coffee scrub uses freshly ground coffee beans. The mud wrap is taken from deep within the earth in a remote part of Costa Rica and is abundant with trace materials.
- We support “Los Niños Pintan para Los Niños,” a valuable association that nurtures abandoned, at risk, sick and economically disadvantaged children through the healing power of art.
- The resort donates toys to local schools in Guanacaste during the holidays.
- We have designed a variety of commy outreach programs that enrich and contribute to our local Guanacaste community.
- Rooms are equipped with automatic sensors that turn off the AC when the terrace door is open.
- No motorized watercraft is allowed around the hotel beaches.
- Land use is limited to 30% of the peninsula. The remaining 70% is untouched and protected for conservation.
- All trees are GPS located. If a tree falls on the golf course, all golf playing ceases until a photo has been taken and sent to the environmental commission of Costa Rica to ensure that the tree is replaced from a tree nursery containing not only ornamentals, but native hardwood species.
- All waste water is treated on seven water treatment plants used to irrigate the landscape.
- Large trees and vegetative buffer zones surround the golf course to help maintain soil water and protect the beaches and waters surrounding the peninsula.
- Natural pheromone traps are used to trap moths on the golf course (which can cause damage to the course) to reduce the need for insecticides.
- The golf course is covered by a special grass called shore paspalum, which is very tolerant of salt water. The course is watered with a mixture of salt and fresh water to help conserve precious fresh water, especially during the long, dry season.
- Polar water bottles are placed in the guest rooms for purchase for $10. Infused and regular water stations are provided throughout the Resort where guests can fill their bottles at their convenience. A percentage of the monies from the purchase are donated to the Friends of Cocos Island Foundation, an independent non-profit organization committed to the protection and conservation of the Cocos Island National Marine Park located 600 kilometres off the Pacific coast of Costa Rica.
- The housekeeping department has spearheaded the “Green Option,” where guests have the choice of having their sheets washed every day, or every three days.
- Resort employees work together regularly to clean up the beaches of the Peninsula.
- Underpasses were installed under the entry road and overpasses were created to ensure
not to disturb the natural movement of wildlife.
- The exterior of the Resort reflects the shapes and textures of leatherback sea turtles, armadillos, iguanas, butterflies and birds, and the finished product looks as if “Mother Nature” carved it out of the hillside a long time ago.
- The resort is made of natural materials, consisting mainly of local lava rock, stone and caña brava (similar to bamboo), as well as woods from Guatemala and Nicaragua.
- Throughout the peninsula, the roadways are surrounded by Terra-Mesh retaining walls, allowing plants to grow through the walls, preventing any erosion or water damage.
- Indigenous landscaping is used throughout the property, utilizing native species and plants capable of living in hot, arid and windy climates, which helps hide the resort into the landscape as well as contributing aesthetically to the beauty of the property.
- Rainwater and runoff is handled through the use of environmentally friendly French drains, which filter the water and minimize erosion while maintaining the integrity of building foundations.
- The resort buildings were designed to be as open as possible to minimize the change from indoors to outdoors, which reduced the need for artificial light and air conditioning while creating a true indoor and outdoor experience for the guest.